Seattle’s Largest Architectural Salvage Yard Seeks Salvage Team Member
Compensation: $16-18 DOE + benefits
Employment Type: full-time
Location: 3223 6th Ave S (Seattle)
Second Use Building Materials, the Puget Sound’s largest source for reclaimed building materials, is seeking a full time staff member to work on our salvage services crew. Second Use is a community focused business dedicated to diverting a wide range of reusable building materials from the landfill and selling them to the public at an affordable cost through our retail stores.
Our staff members share a passion for keeping good stuff from going to waste, an interest in old stuff, a strong work ethic, team sensibility, and general sense of humor. Our salvage crews go into houses and commercial spaces slated for remodel or demolition and harvest the good stuff (doors, cabinets, windows, appliances, flooring, hardware) to prevent it from going to waste. We haul it back to our retail store (located in SODO) and sell it to the public for a fraction of the cost of regular new retail.
-Paid time off
-Quarterly store credit dividends
Second Use is looking for a team member with potential to work both in our store and in the field. This position is a flex position that will include active salvage of building materials in homes and other buildings as needed, and also stocking, loading, and customer service in the store. Job candidates should have some background in building salvage and/or construction as well as excellent communication skills and aptitude for positive team participation.
Typical Work Functions:
– Provide friendly and professional customer service to our suppliers
– With other team members, use specialized tools and techniques to safely uninstall reusable items from homes, schools and other buildings
– Load and secure building materials in our trucks for transport
– Drive trucks between job sites and store
– Unload materials at our store and assist with processing
– Maintain tools, safety, supplies and job documentation
– Stock incoming material in the store
– Assist customers with finding and loading materials
– Typically work four, ten-hour days in a week. Some weekend work may be required.
– Crossover work in other parts of the business, such as receiving, warehouse and customer service, to help with overall business needs.
An ideal candidate will have these qualifications:
– Self-motivated and reliable worker
– Enthusiasm for a safe work environment
– Willing to put in a full 10 hour day at 100%
– Able/willing to safely lift 75 lbs and move heavy materials all day long
– Experience with building salvage
– Experience with construction tools and trades
– Experience with positive team leadership
– Clean driving record and experience driving trucks
– Knowledge of building materials
If you are interested in joining the Second Use team, please send a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position, along with a resume detailing your qualifications for this position to [email protected]